Monday, April 30, 2012

Mermaid Life


I've been in SL a little more frequently, but not too too much. One reason why I haven't really posted here is because I got myself a mermaid outfit after my last scuba trip, and have discovered life as a mermaid. It's a natural progression, I suppose, since I love the water.

I've played with the look a bit; I want to get a good skin that is green, but doesn't look like I just put a green overlay on top of my existing skin. So far, I haven't found anything like that yet. I tried blue at first, but it just didn't work out. Then I decided green would be better but I'm still not happy. That's going to be a work in progress. You just have to look at my flickr to see what else I've done with the look. I just bought some gills because I was too lazy to make some of my own. They aren't yet pictured, but they will be, eventually.

I didn't realize that there was a mer subculture in SL. It's pretty cool, so far. I've met some nice people while swimming out in the waters as a mermaid. I've gone swimming in some places designed for mer folk. The Haven of Rogues and Haven of Mermaids sim complex seems to be a pretty strong center for mer culture. There are mer groups and one person is kind enough to publish a newsletter for mer folks. I haven't gotten into any of the roleplay for it yet, but I'm a little leery of that. A search inworld turned up a lot of D/s mer stuff and I really hate the idea that being a mermaid is just another kink in SL's BDSM scene. There must be more to it than that. I guess, in time, I will learn.

In the meanwhile, I will continue to explore, either by boat or by tail, the waters of SL. I recently made a very cool trip around Gaeta with a friend. I know, I'm remiss for not posting pics. I will probably just do it again and take some pics next time. There is plenty to see, both privately owned and Linden owned like this Leviathan skeleton in the middle of a sea on Nautilus continent. Don't be fooled by the picture! There is more to see under the water. Details like these make the world so much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment